Friday, July 16, 2010

New job duties, newfound respect for people who care for us all





(Hubby's grandpa, Marvin Grayson, Kewanee's first motorcycle policeman. Thank you, all who came before and all who have come since, for putting your lives on the line for us every day. And that goes for all others who protect us, give us aid and teach - you're all very much appreciated.)



The last few weeks have been eye-opening. New duties at work have allowed me to meet some folks I ordinarily would avoid; you know, police officers, courthouse security, judges and the like.

I mean, really, who wants to be within eyesight of these keepers of the law? Actually it’s quite OK as long as you’re not breaking said law, but still.

Much to my surprise, I’ve found some of the nicest people ever to cross my path. There are police officers who smile and laugh and joke around. You soon realize that they have family, hobbies, just regular outside lives like most everyone else. Thing is, you also soon realize what they have to deal with day in and day out and that’s when it’s time to be thankful that someone felt called to what they do for a living.

Law enforcement people are held to a higher standard in many areas, so in addition to the pressures of everyday duties they must maintain what must seem like impossibly high expectations. They know this going into the job so it comes as no surprise, and it’s good to know they are out there protecting us all.

These aren’t the only people taking care of us. Think of the caregivers in hospitals and nursing homes, doctors’ offices and clinics. Where would we be without them in our lives?

I wish I had the time and energy to interview those listed above. I would ask them why they were led to do what they do, what keeps them there, because in most cases it certainly can’t be the money. I’m a curious sort and the more people I meet doing my job, the more I want to know why others do theirs.

Like a lot of people I have a scanner that picks up traffic incidents, accidents and those sorts of things. It makes one wonder what goes through an officer’s mind when a domestic disturbance is taking place, or an alarm is going off at a bank, or a fight is happening after midnight. How do their families handle the worry day after day after day?

I also send a prayer of thanks for the emergency responders—firemen, EMTs, anyone who goes into that special frame of mind where the number one priority is to keep their patient alive until they get to a hospital. Honestly, I don’t know how you do it but please keep on doing it. Someday we may need you, and we want someone who loves what they do.

One of the reasons I love covering court proceedings and such is because I’m a big, big fan of shows like Law & Order, and authors like John Grisham. Crime interests me because they are a mystery that must be unraveled and the right criminals caught and brought to justice.

Tough jobs for tough people, true. Here’s to all of you who put your lives and sanity on the line so the rest of us can go about our business knowing you have our backs. Thank you, and stay safe.

No comments: