Friday, February 25, 2011

You put the sauce on the bottom, the spaghetti on top




This salad looks too good to eat, but we manage to eat it anyway. It's made with such care and perfection I had to take a picture of it. By the way, I didn't make it.



Tuesday was an unusually busy work day so when the offer came for supper to be made by someone other than me, I accepted.

Salad, spaghetti and cheese-topped garlic bread was on the menu. As we finished our salads, the cook said, “You know, I read where the right way to eat spaghetti is to put the sauce on your plate first, then the spaghetti.” I was a teensy bit skeptical, but this was said with a straight face and no-nonsense expression.

At the stove I put the scrumptious-smelling sauce on the plate first, then added the whole wheat pasta. Two pieces of crispy garlic bread made for a perfect combination.

I sat down and looked at my plate, then heard this: “Wow. What kind of an upside-down backward world do you live in?”

We all thought that was pretty funny. I’d fallen again for a suggestion just because someone I believed made it. Turns out he wasn’t kidding; he really had read some article about the proper way to serve spaghetti but the experience started a trip down memory lane.

In our marriage’s early years my husband often called me gullible. I did fall for a lot of scams and such but I learned my lessons along the way, or so I thought. Those things we fall for often change appearance, at least they did for me and I got burned every single time.

Instead of revisiting the School of Hard Knocks I mentally closed those thoughts down and concentrated on movie night. Just before supper I had received a call from a person who got my new cell phone number from someone. I could feel warning bells going off about the proposal being offered, yet I half-heartedly agreed to check into it. I kicked myself for doing that, and tried to put it out of my mind.

Then my phone rang while we were watching a favorite show. It was yet another person who was given my number, this time from the original caller. Anger and suspicion took the place of warning bells as the caller was even more hard-sell than the first one. I told the woman I would try to make the meeting but wasn’t going to promise.

Actually, my mind was made up as soon as I hung up the phone. There would be no meeting for me, no fantastic opportunity, though I may wonder for a while whether that was a stupid decision to make. If so, I’ll live with it.

That’s just the kind of upside-down backward world I live in.

No comments: