Wednesday, June 01, 2011

Wonder what Mom would do




Anyone out there? Hello?


It's been one of those weeks. Or two; I've lost count.

First the water heater went toes up, then we discovered a leak under the kitchen sink too late to prevent the linoleum from poofing up. And we knew we had at least three repairs to make to the "good" car but we put it off until the noises it made bothered me enough to do something about it.

Water heater installed? Check.

Leak under the sink fixed? Check.

And one item checked off the car-repair sheet.

But...the leak under the sink started up again, and the faucet became loose and unruly. The car started making a different sort of noise so it's going back to the shop Friday morning.

I get weary of moaning about stuff that happens because it seems like nothing more than a pity party. In this age of instant news, you don't have to look far to find someone having many more (and worse) problems than you.

Still, when it happens to us, it's important, at least for a little while.

I often wonder what my mom would have done if she was living today. And by "done", I mean would she have griped about stuff like a water heater and car repairs? I don't think so. Mom took care of things (for as long as she was physically able.) She'd get a determined look on her face and you could tell she was mulling over what to do about whatever problems cropped up.

I could learn a few things from her attitude. I wish she was still here because while I know she'd tell me to stop whining about some things, I have to wonder what she would do about something that's been bothering me for a while.

It would be a blast to show Mom the Internet and all it can do. She could have found her ancestors, sold things, stayed in touch with family and friends--all great things. But like just about everything else, where there are people involved, you're going to find stuff that bugs you.

I did.

I would ask Mom what she would do if she saw that her children or grandchildren or ANY children she knew were on places like Facebook and were running amok. Especially with their very young fingers typing out very nasty words dozens of times a day. Would she immediately call them on it? Would she tell their parents? Would she just sit back and put up with it?

There is but one thing Mom would do: she would go after the child, and she wouldn't give a rip if it offended him or her or mom or dad. That's the way she was, and if you didn't like it, tough.

I guess I don't have her backbone, but I do have a heavy heart as I continue to hide posts from kids barely into their teens who freely use coarse language and suggestive posts to get their points across, to shock their elders and to prove to anyone that they can do whatever they want, whenever they want.

Is anyone listening? Reading? In charge?

Anyone?

No comments: