Friday, September 21, 2007

Column: Creating memories over coffee, toast and conversation in the morning


(This is a bench in Veterans Park, just across the street from home. It's where hubby and Sarah the pup sit and watch people and other doggies walk by.)


Most of us have favorite things, like movies, books, ice cream, candy bars, soda, chips, seasons, relatives.


My favorite movie, at the moment, is Fargo. I can’t pass a wood chipper without thinking about that weird guy using it. I’m not going to describe what he was doing because this is a morning newspaper, and you might be having a bite of toast right now.


I love butter pecan ice cream, diet Coke, Lays potato chips, dark chocolate Milky Way candy bars and fall. Some of my relatives read this column, so I won’t say here who’s my favorite and who isn’t.


Lately, I’ve been thinking about my favorite time of day. When I worked full-time, I couldn’t wait until the day was over and I was pulling back the covers to go to sleep. There were too many bills to juggle, work-related headaches and not nearly enough time to just relax and stop the worry-o-meter. Sweet sleep was the answer. Thing is, when I worked eight hours a day I would at least sleep through the night. Of course maybe the problem now is old age, because it seems I’m awfully busy for someone who doesn’t punch the time clock.


More than a few years ago, my favorite time of day was Saturday morning. The kids and I would watch Looney Tunes cartoons and even if we’d seen Bugs versus Daffy or Yosemite Sam a hundred times, we’d sit and laugh and watch them again.


There were a few years when my favorite time of day was Sunday morning. That was when we attended the Evangelical Covenant Church on Williams Street. It took us a while, but we eventually got involved with various committees, choir and such, and even taught Sunday school. Sunday mornings like that started the whole week off on the right foot. Then our church closed, and my favorite time of day was gone.


For the past several years, the month of November lends itself to another favorite time of day: the night. That’s when thousands of people the world over stock up on munchies and their favorite drinks and hole up for a month while they write the Great American Novel. There’s something about nighttime for me when it comes to writing fiction, so I’m looking forward to that.


My favorite time of day now is every morning I can sit at the table and talk with my hubby over a pot of coffee. We’ve never been able to do that throughout our married life because he worked all of the time. Sure, there was the time he was laid off for a few months, but he always found a way to support his family.


Today we watch the morning news together, sip coffee, eat cereal and toast and figure out what we’ll do that day. Maybe it’s because we’ve crossed that invisible time-line in our lives, but we both seem much more aware that moments and mornings like these are probably the most precious times we share. I don’t know if I ever want to try out another favorite time of day because this one seems to be the best of them all.


Come November, if, as they say, the Lord’s willing and the creek don’t rise, I’ll have two favorite times of day. It doesn’t get much better than that.

No comments: