Sunday, January 25, 2009

On writing the best memoir(s) ever





It's Sunday morning, cold, sunny, a bit too breezy. The light snow ended about an hour ago. There was just enough to cover up the previous snows that had become dirty-looking. I'm glad there wasn't more because I'm getting worried about hubby shoveling all this white stuff, especially the kind the weather forecasters have been calling "heart-attack snow."


After church, we all met for breakfast at a favorite restaurant. We caught up with family and a friend, and saw the grandkids come in with their "Uncle" Mike and "Grandpa" Terry. The guys have quite the extended family and it was good to see them enjoying a big breakfast.


It's been a reflective time, these past few days. I saw a fascinating piece on the show Sunday Morning, about a memoirist who's written five memoirs. I recorded the program so I could watch it again and take notes because I've been awfully ticked off lately about celebrities who are paid gazillions of dollars for their memoirs (read: Britney Spears), and that means there's not a whole lot of money left to pay those of us who aren't famous folks.


It didn't help that there have been *fake* memoirs in the public eye lately. Between too much dough being thrown at those who most definitely do NOT need it, and ordinary folks making up their life stories, the rest of us could feel like giving up. But I don't plan on doing that - I simply can't.


One thing I remember from the show this morning - the guy said he had to write down his life, he simply had to. That's exactly how I feel. It's got to come out, but now I think I have a guideline to go by. I needed that because I need structure. And the other cool thing about this guy was that he and his brother don't remember things exactly the same way. That's how life is, we don't always remember things exactly the same way. That said, it's important to add that this doesn't mean the writer is lying, it just means he or she remembers in their own way.


As for me, I can't even wrap my mind around lying in a memoir. What would be the point?


I'm looking forward to writing my memoirs now, and that means I'm thankful to whoever that guy was - excuse me while I watch that piece again. Every memoirist should check this guy out.

No comments: