Friday, June 25, 2010

Dogs made the whole trip worth it





Meet Thistle, my new yellow Lab friend. Well-behaved, happy and healthy--full of life and love and well worth the trip in a thunderstorm. Dogs rule.



Last Friday afternoon I headed toward Galva to do a feature interview. The sky didn’t look bad, just a few clouds here and there dotted the blue background so I didn’t pay as much attention to the weather as I did to the car behind me. It freaks me out when drivers feel the need to ride within kissing distance to the trunk of my car. I had never been to where I was going, so I wasn’t whizzing along at 55 mph. It was important to watch for the sign that would send me in the right direction.

All turned out well, though, and as I headed over lesser-traveled roads I got kind of excited. Soon I would get to meet some dogs and people who love dogs—a dream assignment.

Upon pulling in, a half a dozen pooches of different breeds greeted me with their versions of hello. Beautiful.

During the interview, I glanced up at a very tall window that showed a sky full of dark, churning clouds. The earlier blue background was gone, and the roof of the building was making sounds not unlike one would hear on Halloween in a haunted house. Then the rains came, complete with thunder and plenty of lightning.

We closed up the interview and I stared out the front door. During an apparent break in the monsoon I made a run for the car. Keep in mind, I no longer “run” anywhere, but as I walked really fast to the car I sent up a prayer that went exactly like this: “I don’t wanna die!” I repeated that line all the way, and once safely inside I followed up with, “Thank you, God.”

After a minute, I started down the road that now sported many large puddles of rain water. Lightning flashed, thunder rolled and the defroster was on full-blast. Bent over the steering wheel, I could see a gigantic piece of farm machinery heading straight for me. With no place to pull off, I veered right and started praying again. To my surprise, the driver pulled into a gravel drive ahead of me and I made it to the highway. Now all I had to do was make it home down Rt. 34.

The windshield wipers were going at warp speed but even that wasn’t enough as three semis buzzed past me and sent waves of water onto the windshield. More prayer, and soon I was at Walmart, huddled in a pathetic ball of pent-up fear and waiting once again for a let-up in the downpour. Eventually I made it inside, got what I needed and headed home.

It never occurred to me to ask if the interview I’d just done was worth it, or to complain (too much) about the timing of the storm while I was out in the country. All I had to do was load the pictures of the dog I’d just met onto the computer. Seeing his smiling face I immediately brought back the experience of meeting someone new, and hearing them share the love of what they do.

Jobs don’t get much better than this.

No comments: