Friday, August 20, 2010

Living with a few physical limitations





I may be in my late 50s, but I'm a kid at heart even though I can't do some of the things I used to do. That's OK because I've seen folks who deal with much more challenging issues and they do it with dignity, grace and humor. I'm learning from them every day and I thank God they are a part of my life.



I've lived with physical limitations for as long as I can remember.

First it was poor eyesight. The lazy left eye was obvious, and Mom was told back in 1957 that it could be surgically fixed by cutting a hole in the side of my head and tying up a loose optical something-or-other. She decided against that, thinking it was much less risky to fit me with glasses.

Throughout the years I've been told the left eye is legally blind, that I can see with only one eye at a time, eye exercises might improve my sight, or, and this is obvious: I'm nearsighted in one eye and farsighted in the other. This is something I've learned to live with. Thinking ahead is something I do often, so my thought was that if I begin to go blind I will learn Braille and I'll stock up on audio books. Some folks have it a lot worse.

Another problem is stamina. It's just not there like it used to be. I can stay up until around 10 or so, then it's bedtime. The sole exception to this is if I'm writing, and then the hours fly and it's often far later than 10 by the time I finish.

Heat is beginning to get to me, so it's a good thing we moved from Arizona a couple of decades ago. Still, the heat and humidity of an Illinois summer is tough to take but I won't complain too much. We have air conditioners in our home and our cars, at work and at stores and restaurants. There are those with breathing problems who simply cannot handle some of our weather; they have it a lot worse.

And the other day I came face-to-stairway with a big dilemma. I was to meet someone at their home for an interview, and upon arriving I was told to come around to the back of the house. The possibility of a big dog waiting there crossed my mind; instead, I found a tall, narrow stairway that sent me right around to the front again where I waited to be let inside. It was a bit embarrassing but it couldn't be helped.

Seems like Mom always had problems with walking. Most of the time she did fine, and other times she was in so much pain she crawled on the floor. I couldn't possibly wish more that I had asked her about those times because there is no one around today who can explain to me what her problem was.

Sis and I have had problems walking on and off for years. There was the time I was walking down the steps at a workplace in Tucson when I simply dropped and fell halfway down. The legs gave out and down I went. Everything checked out fine, and it didn't happen again until over 20 years later when I stood to get out of bed and fell right down to the floor.

As I take stock of new (and some old) physical limitations, I don't sit and cry about them. Nor do I dwell on what I can no longer do. My usual approach to a problem is to see how to get over, under, around or through it. There have been times when severe headaches seemed to come every day for a couple of weeks at a time. After the first few days, I would get determined to carry on with life and live with the pain. Eventually it went away, and I was thankful for each day my head didn't feel ready to explode.

And when walking problems begin to interfere with normal living, I haul out my late father-in-law's cane so I can keep going and get things done. When that no longer works, we'll go from there.

Eyesight, stamina, mobility--three mighty important things we need to live a productive life. But when stuff happens, and it will eventually, try to find ways to outsmart the attacks and remember that there are others who have it a lot worse.

No comments: