Friday, August 13, 2010

Off to Branson and the million-dollar bathroom




From left, here they come: Gary, Vonnie, Mom and Tom. We left this mall in short order - it was incredibly hot and the trolley never came by. Still, we had more fun than we could shake a stick at. Or something like that.


I think the conversation went something like this:

Me: “You guys going to Branson pretty soon?”

Aunt: “Yes! You two want to go along?”

Me: “OK.”

We dropped off Sarah Jane at the vet's for boarding on a Wednesday afternoon (that's a column itself, but we won't go there. It was traumatic to leave the dog who's been by our sides for over four years and we missed her something fierce.) I wanted to start off early on Thursday morning, say around 7 or so but we didn't pull out until after 8. I get a tad freaked in heavy traffic and on long trips so this was going to be a test of my sanity and of everyone else involved.

Traffic was terrifying (to me) for most of the way there and back, but the drivers handled things beautifully. Auntie did a spot-on impression of me and my reactions to speeding vehicles of all kinds. “This is Margi,” she said, as she stiffened both arms and legs and bugged out her eyes. Heck, she was in the car ahead of ours yet she captured my expression perfectly.

We found our hotel, put our things away and set out for supper. One thing I found difficult to handle (and yes, there was more than one thing) was the way the roads and parking lots were not at all flat. I kid you not, once when Mom stepped out of our car and began an out-of-control downward descent, I was thankful her sister grabbed the back of Mom's jacket to hold her in place.

There was the usual stuff: TV breaks down, gets replaced; forgetting where one put their toiletries, cosmetics and medicines; and sending someone out to get ice a few steps from the room and having them take half an hour to return—without the ice. Fun times.

The highlights, though, were the two shows we saw. Shoji Tabuchi puts on a dazzling act, playing his violin as if he was born with it in his hands. The special effects, the energy and the talent left us in awe for hours afterward. I took plenty of pictures but honestly, you have to experience something like this in person to truly appreciate it.

On an important side note, we had been told that even if we weren't going to see Shoji's show we simply had to at least use the, um, facilities at his theater. I can remember thinking, sure, it's probably a fancy bathroom but how fancy could it be to warrant all the accolades. Trust me when I say this: It is that fancy. It's beyond description. It cost a million bucks each—for the ladies and the mens rooms.

It's 2400 square feet of “Oh, my gosh!” We had live ivy and violets, a chandelier imported from Italy, granite sinks, a marble fireplace and over two dozen “thrones”. The guys had black leather cushy seats for relaxing, black sinks, red carnations and—get this—a pool table. I've left some things out, but I took lots of photos there too because it's unlikely I'll ever set foot in such a place again. These bathrooms have been voted the best in the U.S. I was more than a little unimpressed with my own facilities after we got home.

We also saw the Pierce Arrow show that featured country and gospel music, and one of the funniest comedians I've ever seen. We laughed ourselves silly, and the patriotic songs brought tears to our eyes. Classy stuff.

Wherever we went to eat, we found budding entertainers who told us jokes or sang while they waited on diners. We met some of the friendliest people on earth in Branson, and it's a trip we'll never forget. Memories were made, and I'll always be thankful our family had this time together.

Just one little thing; well, maybe a couple. Try to never get caught in bumper-to-bumper traffic in 90-plus degree weather for over an hour with a car full of family unless you all love one another very, very much.

And two: There's nothing in the world like coming home, picking up your furry friend and just sitting side-by-side on a quiet, summer night. It doesn't get much better than that.

No comments: